Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Mini-Update

       Hi again everyone, this is just going to be a small update post on what I have been doing in the past week. I've mainly been working on continuing to process the data from the experiment, but I've also begun work on my presentation in preparation for May. The brood analysis is going particularly slowly, since a lot of the frames I am processing have what is known as "shotgun brood", where brood cells are distributed widely across the frame. I'll put a picture down below to demonstrate.
The brood cells are the cells of the comb covered with brown caps. In order to assess brood area, I need to trace every cell using a computer program called ImageJ. The "shotgun brood" makes it very difficult to do this.   
        And that's it for this mini-post. I'll try to include another post (as I've said before) showing the kind of data we got and explaining the brood analysis process.